"deactivated"

Well, I did it:  I deactivated my facebook account.

And then I snuck back in on my Farmer's account to see if it worked.  It did.  I am really gone.  As in, even comments that I made yesterday on other people's statuses are just vanished into thin air.  As if I never really did exist.

I feel like a "disappeared" character from George Orwell's 1984 (which I keep saying I want to re-read; now that I'm deactivated maybe I'll have the time to do it).  I kind of expect to hear that someone's read my obituary in a very small newspaper somewhere.

Already I miss the interaction.  Pathetic, I know.  I thought, in the meantime, that I'd keep a record of things that I'm doing during time I might otherwise have spent on facebook, sort of by way of rationalizing my absence (or keeping myself from going back ASAP).

Today, so far, I have weeded flowerbeds, cleared the driveway of sticks with my children, with my son watched a tractor aerate the field, taken a nap, and rearranged my blog layout (moved "what's for supper" down a smidge and got rid of the "one thousand gifts" ongoing list at the bottom since I got to # 999 and quit recording).  And it's not even 3pm yet.....

See, it's good.  I can do this ....


..... right?




4 comments:

  1. Found your blog on the WLW blog. I "deactivated" my facebook back in August and I went through the same withdrawl as you. But I can say here it is, March, and I don't regret it. I miss hearing from friends that don't live near me, but it forces me to have to email them more. My brain does not miss the drama of Facebook nor the never-ending junk that people post. So, kudos to you for making this move!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wanted to encourage you! I deactivated my account last June after reading Ephesians 5:15-17. I really felt the Lord tugging on my heart to do it. So I did. Then I got back on when I found out I was pregnant in November...I wanted to let everyone know!!

    But, I've been reminded why I left in the first place lately. All the wasting of time, the envy that can come of it, people arguing over religion/politics/whatever.... it just got to be too much...AGAIN for me.

    So I just deactivated it again. I know I'll activate it again when the baby is born in July (we aren't finding out the sex, so everyone is so curious to know what we are having since I already have three boys) but I know I'll deactivate it again.

    It is amazing all the things you suddenly find time for when you don't waste it checking facebook every 10 minutes!!

    So, good for you and hope you take back your time!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love this!!!! I have tried so many times to do it but my family lives so far away. Thy love seeing updates about our son. It's about balance and I'm still trying to figure it out!
    Come share this at my blog! I've started a link up for women being real and honest!! This is perfect!
    Http://risingwiththeson.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks so much for your encouraging words, Lisa, Jessi, and my anonymous pregnant friend. :) Facebook interaction has largely been a blessing to me (believe it or not!) ... but I have found it, so far, to be an insurmountable challenge to balance well the time I spend on it. It's just so easy to lose track of time, and my family's needs!, while I'm checking out my friends' lives, encouraging them and receiving encouragement. So, I'm trying to take back my time, maybe start over again after Easter. We'll see - who knows, maybe I'll never miss it!!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...