notes on ice cream

First off, it was brought to my attention that the recipe for Frozen Maple Cream, although convincingly yummy-sounding, was a tad involved for summertime cooking.  I heartily concur, and want to offer the following research on said recipe:

Skip the gelatin part.  Just mix up all the other ingredients and throw it into an electric ice cream maker (I use a Sunbeam model with a base that you keep in the freezer.  Love it!).  This makes a smaller quantity because you haven't whipped the cream.  (No matter; next time I'll just add a cup of milk to the recipe, I think.  It was a little too sweet, also, but the extra milk will take care of that.)  Easy enough?

Next on the agenda is the amazing Chocolate Mint Ice Cream that I just invented (oh, clever, clever me!).  I will give you the involved version (which I did) and the simple version (which I invite you to try and let me know how it turns out .... unless I get to it first!).

Chocolate Mint Ice Cream (involved version)


Cook on medium heat, stirring constantly, till almost boiling:
1/2 cup milk
1/2 cup chocolate chips
2/3 cup sugar
dash of salt

Whisking constantly, slowly pour half of the hot chocolate mixture into:
1 egg, beaten

Slowly pour the egg/chocolate mixture back into the hot chocolate.
Add:
2 cups cream
1/2 tsp. vanilla
1/4 tsp. mint extract

Refrigerate till cold.  Freeze in electric ice cream freezer according to directions (mine takes 40 minutes to get "soft-serve"; I usually then put it in the freezer for a few hours to harden it to "dippable")  I promise you that if you are a chocolate mint fan, you will not regret "slaving over a hot stove" for this one!  And if you run into any texture problems with the egg, just blend it all before chilling it, and it will be smooth as silk.


Chocolate Mint Ice Cream (simple version - untested, remember?  let me know how it gets...!)


Cook on medium heat, stirring constantly, till almost boiling:
1/2 cup milk
1/2 cup chocolate chips
2/3 cup sugar
dash of salt

Add:
2 cups cream
1/2 tsp. vanilla
1/4 tsp. mint extract

Refrigerate till cold.  Freeze in electric ice cream freezer according to directions (mine takes 40 minutes to get "soft-serve"; I usually then put it in the freezer for a few hours to harden it to "dippable").  And if you run into any texture problems with the egg, just blend it all before chilling it, and it will be smooth as silk.

There you have it - just in time to win you accolades at your Independence Day party.  Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...