5 minutes on growing




[the parameters:  gypsymama provides the topic; we write unedited for five minutes and stop no matter what when it is finished.  today's topic:  growing]




I'm thinking of that caterpillar again.  The one that, this morning, before we were up, cracked open the chrysalis and crawled into a new life.  I'm wondering, again, if its old caterpillar self was bewildered at the bright wet burden unfolding behind.  Did it rejoice in the color, the delicate unfurling proboscis it boasted, antennae fingering fresh air?



Can a caterpillar puzzle?

Can it count loss?  Did it dread the future, dragging those wings it wouldn't know could soar?  So slowly they dried.  Did they lighten, then, to spread for the first, unfolding finest velvety black and vermilion and cobalt?

I never saw it leave the leaf; the rain started and we left it, a windowscreen to shield it from the torrent.

[time's up.  is it cheating to add a picture now?  hope not].

2 comments:

  1. Beautiful stuff here. Your words are just so vibrant and invite me right in. I never thought about a caterpillar counting loss in the change. And I love the question, "Can a caterpillar puzzle?"

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Val. Thank you for coming over to visit at my 5-minute blog. That butterfly is so beautiful! Happy Fall.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...