refining

Does silver hurt, do you think, when its shape melts away in the crucible, and dross mars the mirror, twisted and black and ugly?





Does the caterpillar hurt as it hangs in a "J" and waits for the change coming under its skin, shrugged off to unveil chrysalis?















When it changes again, tight in shiny green, inexplicably growing wings, does it wonder and chafe at the change?  















When the chrysalis clears... 










...and the wings fall out new, does the butterfly, confounded, long for the old, the familiar worm?  I wonder.












Do autumn trees, losing glory a drop at a time, mourn for lost lushness of summer? 









Do they stumble on starkness and cold?  Do they sense any glimpse of the spring?








I wish I knew.

I wish I knew how silver endures the furnace it's in:  heat, and more heat, till purity reflects the face of the refiner himself.





"For the perishable must clothe itself with the imperishable, and the mortal with immortality."  I Corinthians 15:53

"to put off your old self, which is being corrupted by its deceitful desires; to be made new in the attitude of your minds;
and to put on the new self, created to be like God in true righteousness and holiness."  Ephesians 4:22-24

"be transformed by the renewing of your mind."  Romans 12:2

"Let us not become weary in doing good, for at the proper time we will reap a harvest if we do not give up."  Galatians 6:9

"You removed my sackcloth and clothed me with joy, that my heart may sing to you and not be silent. 
O LORD my God, I will give you thanks forever."  Psalm 30:11-12

"Be still and know that I am God."


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...