my very own chocolate chip cookie recipe


These are so good that it's just kindness to share the recipe.  I experimented a loooong time to get these cookies to turn out just the way I wanted them to.  [and continue to tinker with the recipe!  Just updated 10-4-2014]  I hope you like them as much as we do.

I am listing the brands that I use because it's so disappointing when I try someone else's recipe and it turns out all different.  I can only assume that if I followed the directions they gave me, then it must be a difference in ingredient brands, and I want to save you that frustration.  So - if you follow the recipe exactly and don't love the cookies, at least you won't have to wonder what you did wrong - you'll just know that you and I have a different taste in chocolate chip cookies.  Alright.  Here goes:

My Very Own Chocolate Chip Cookie Recipe

1 cup natural peanut butter
1/2 cup salted butter, softened
1/2 cup peanut oil (or coconut, if it's liquid)
1 1/2 cup raw (demerara) sugar
1/2 cup raw honey
3 small eggs (or two large ones)
2 tsp. real vanilla

Mix all the above well with an electric mixer.  If you didn't let the butter soften enough (as happens sometimes in households where the cook is both spontaneous and impatient), try to smash the resulting lumps with a spoon to somewhat integrate them.  Now, stir in:

2 cups King Arthur's ("white") whole wheat flour
1 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
1 tsp. Arm & Hammer baking soda
1 tsp. salt (I use the pink Himalayan now, but I'm not sure it makes any difference)
12 oz. bag of semi-sweet chocolate chips (Shurfine works, but Hershey's Special Dark is better, and Ghiradelli is best)

I usually chill the dough till I'm ready to dive in to the business of cookie-baking, but that's only because I tend to do jobs in small increments.  You can bake these right away.

Whenever you're ready, turn the oven on to 350 F.  I use AirBake pans (because that's what I was given waaaaay back at my bridal shower) and the cookies take 12-15 minutes to cook, switching pans halfway through, so if you use thin aluminum you may need to watch them for burning bottoms.  Also, if you put fewer cookies on the tray, they'll bake faster.

For the peanutiest flavor, let them cool to room temp.

Enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...