an ounce of prevention .... again

Two nights in a row now, I've stayed up late doing unnecessary things (sitting in a parking lot with friends, painting a suncatcher, and watching a movie, if you must know).  I just felt like it.

Not that I want to base my life on what I feel like doing, but for someone who lives largely (or, more accurately, "small-ly") within the confines of her children's needs, staying up late was oddly liberating for me.  Normally I go to bed in good time to prevent feeling sleepy the next day.  A good habit and one I heartily recommend breaking from time to time.

Maybe conscientiousness is like exercise - if you do the same routine too frequently, your body falls into a rut and stops being trained by it, sort of develops an immunity.

In my post yesterday, I quoted The Princess Diaries' Eduard Christoff Philippe Gerard Renaldi, Crown Prince of Genovia:  "Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgement that something is more important than fear.  The brave may not live forever, but the cautious do not live at all."  In this recent season of my life, I have been living in the ranks of the cautious.  

What, then, is more important than prevention, that can propel me out of caution and into liberty living?

Letting the baby explore, no matter the dirt and (unlikely, after all) disease.
Staying up late sometimes, to see an eclipse, fireworks, or just the magic of lightening bugs.
On special occasions, serving sugar with enthusiasm!!
Allowing a margin for liberality in the spending plan.  Then, being liberal!
And sometimes, daring something big.  Pray, then leap!

(original post on this subject here; follow-up post here)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...