sugar freedom: day six


(click here for the first post in my sugar freedom story)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

May 4, Friday
[from my post on MOMYS]

Oh. My. Word!!

I stepped on the scale this morning, very curious.  I've been avoiding (but not yet eliminating) sugar all week, but have somehow fallen off exercising.  It had been my habit to spend 20-30 minutes on the elliptical in 10-min. spurts throughout the day, and I was really noticing that when I got my exercise in, the weight was coming off (slooooooowly) and when I didn't, it didn't (and sometimes went back up!!).  No surprise there, but this week I was soooo curious to see what effect avoiding sugar would have, and here I was going to see its effect all by itself, without exercise figuring in at all.

I lost 2-3 lbs (dial scale, so never exactly sure where that needle is pointing).  After five days of avoiding sugar!!!!

(can you tell I'm excited?)

But also, that's kind of scary, that I was normally having to burn off 2-3 lbs worth of sugar consumption in a 5-day period.  No wonder it wore my body down.

And the funny thing is, I would have considered our family as using a low-sugar diet.  We never drink soda.  We drink water at meals, sometimes milk for lunch, and on the weekends I serve juice with breakfast.  We don't have dessert on a regular basis, we eat processed foods maybe once a week.  And, I'm not avoiding non-"sweet" foods that happen to have sugar hidden in them (bread, ketchup, peanut butter).

Actually, wait.  Strike that.  As I was noticing the effects of sugar (thank you, food journal) on how I felt (physically, mentally and emotionally), I did start to read labels some, and am working on boycotting peanut butter (switched to a just-the-nuts type) and spaghetti sauce (made my own using plain tomato puree for a base).  Also giving away or tossing out some of my favorite Japanese cooking supplies after discovering that they are mostly high fructose corn syrup and/or salt.

(I'm also..... still having a small square of dark chocolate with my eggs-n-toast breakfast)

So, where exactly did I avoid sugar?!  And 2-3 lbs worth of it?!!!

I used to have 1-2 cups of coffee in the morning, with about 1/2 tsp of sugar in each cup.
I used to eat granola for breakfast every morning - homemade, but not sugarfree!
I used to eat up to the equivalent of a half bar of chocolate throughout the day.  (*blush*)

That doesn't look like a ton of sugar to me, but I'm probably missing some somewhere.

Anyway, sorry to write a book on it, but I was astonished to have lost weight without exercising, half-cheating on eating sugarless.  Plus, I'm feeling better (clearer thinking, allergies are milder, more motivation) to boot.

I think I could get used to this.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[next post on sugar freedom]


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...